RUST GRIP is a liquid reinforcement coating designed to seal air, moisture and chemicals out of surfaces completely.
RUST GRIP totally seals virtually any surface to protect it against corrosion, weather and physical wear. As a three-coats-in-one system, RUST GRIP acts as a primer, intermediate, and top coat with a single application and minimal surface preparation.
RUST GRIP is an encapsulating coating that stands up to abrasion, direct impact, acids, salts and caustic materials with no loss of strength.
What solution does this offer you?
- RUST GRIP protects steel, aluminium, concrete, wood, fibreglass, lead-based paints, polyurethane foam, and other coatings
- RUST GRIP can be applied directly over rusted surfaces after loose material is removed
- RUST GRIP can be used as a primer for metal before over-coating (eg: with SUPER THERM)
- RUST GRIP encapsulates and seals lead-based paints, asbestos, other hazardous materials
- RUST GRIP can be used to protect floors against wear and damage
- RUST GRIP can be used as an anti-slip coating when combined with aggregates
- RUST GRIP can be used as a protection from acid splash or pooling
- RUST GRIP can be used as a moisture protective membrane to stop moisture penetration, contaminants, mould and mildew
- RUST GRIP can substitute for zinc-rich primer requiring no white sandblasting
RUST GRIP instantly seals, strengthens & protects, while stopping rust & corrosion in its path!
- RUST GRIP is perfect for minimally prepared surfaces – ie. No sandblasting!
- RUST GRIP is extremely tough, UV-controlled and is not affected by hostile environments
- RUST GRIP is fast working – begins its cure cycle within an hour, penetrating and swelling to seal surface pores and it works in such a way that high humidity quickens the drycure cycle
- RUST GRIP is easy-to-use – no pot life, no catalyzation, no two-part mixing
- RUST GRIP is designed to withstand acids, salts and caustics with no loss of strength (submergible in 100% nitric acid without any effects)
- RUST GRIP is rated as a Class A fire coating
- RUST GRIP has a 20+ year lifespan on substrates under normal conditions (strengthens surfaces to 6780psi or 478bar)
- RUST GRIP has passed 15,000 hours of salt spray testing which far exceeds the marine specifications and consequently has achieved DNV certification
RUST GRIP is a tough, one-part, moisture-cure polyurethane coating that absorbs atmospheric moisture to cure. Upon curing, RUST GRIP provides a protective coating film of superior adhesion and flexibility that is resistant to abrasion and impact, and is also resistant to chemical solvents and acid splash.
RUST GRIP can be applied over pressure-washed, completely dry flash rust and firmly bonded commercial paints. In most cases, a white or near-white blasting is not required. A light to medium surface rust is preferred as the profile.
How does it work
RUST GRIP literally anchors itself into the surface of the existing rust, metal or concrete, etc. RUST GRIP is loaded with a metallic pigment for strength. It encapsulates the surface to have the existing rust become a layer of steel over the surface to a strength of 6180psi.
RUST GRIP’s patented design will instantly find the pores of the applied surface and immediately fill them. Within an hour of application, it will begin its cure cycle. During this cure cycle, it will pull moisture from the air and begin to microscopically swell within the individual pores as it hardens. This process anchors the coating and seals the full surface against any possibility of air, moisture, or any minerals attacking it.
In many areas where rust is a continuous problem, the age-old system for dealing with existing rust is to use a lengthy, expensive 4-step procedure: (1) Sandblast for surface preparation (2) Apply a primer coat (3) Apply a middle coat (4) Apply a top coat. This is an outdated system which is nolonger viable due to the enormous costs in terms of time and expense.
RUST GRIP is a simple one-coat system (having a low initial viscosity) which after minimal preparation (ie: NO SANDBLASTING) wets the rusty surface, then penetrates to the foundation of the rust's origin where curing begins. RUST GRIP is made with special solvent carriers that allow it to penetrate deep into the pores. RUST GRIP actually becomes part of the infrastructure unlike a surface coating which just bonds on top. The polymer literally begins to swell, developing an interlocking network between the pores of the substrate and the coating.
In addition to this, RUST GRIP’s high molecular weight allows the coating to become extremely tough. Being an aromatic urethane in nature, it is already extremely resistant to acids. Its non-leafing metallic qualities allow an encapsulation of the surface and adds additional toughness and UV control to its substrate.
For a solution to corrosion on submerged infrastructures or surfaces that need to be coated when wet please refer to MOIST METAL GRIP.
Upon curing, RUST GRIP provides a protective coating film of superior adhesion and flexibility which is resistant to abrasion and impact. RUST GRIP can be used as a primer or as a one-coating system. For more information please read:
RUST GRIP has been successfully tried and tested throughout the world and has received numerous certificates to substantiate its effectiveness and reliability. Please see technical sheet for extended list.
- RUST GRIP applied to a bare metal plate with one coat at only 6 dry mils thickness passed through 15,000 hours (30 years in the field) with a perfect 10 score with no corrosion development. (ASTM C117)
- RUST GRIP passed ASTM D5894 at 10K hrs with perfect 10 score at 6 mils
- RUST GRIP is not a sacrificial rust inhibitor such as a zinc enriched primer that will wear out over time but in fact it is a permanent rust proofing which is why it is a certified (ASTM E1795) Biohazard Encapsulator.
- RUST GRIP is certified by the EPA for encapsulation of lead-based paints and asbestos
For updated SDS and/or further information or documents regarding these and other test results please contact us.
RUST GRIP can totally seal virtually any surface and protect it against corrosion, weather and physical wear. Please find below a few selected references from our Global Database intended to show the type of application, solution and markets in which RUST GRIP has successfully been applied: